OptiLight by Lumenis- Treatment for Dry Eye Disease,
If you suffer from dry eye disease, you know how uncomfortable it can be. You may have tried over-the-counter eye drops and home remedies and found no lasting relief from your symptoms.
At Omaha Primary EyeCare in Elkhorn, we offer an innovative in-office treatment called OptiLight by Lumenis. OptiLight is the first and only FDA-approved IPL (intense pulsed light) therapy specifically designed to manage dry eye disease caused by meibomian gland dysfunction.
What is OptiLight, and how does it work?
OptiLight is a light-based treatment that uses precise, intense broad spectrum light to treat dry eye disease due to meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD).
Lumenis’ patented technology OPT™ (Optimal Pulse Technology) transforms the use of light and allows targeted, uniform, precise, and controlled treatment. Specifically designed for the delicate area below the eye, OPT™ safely and effectively breaks the vicious cycle of inflammation associated with dry eye. Treatment protocol generally consists of four sessions, two to four weeks apart.
What to expect during an OptiLight treatment session
During an OptiLight session at Omaha Primary EyeCare in Elkhorn, NE, you can typically expect the following:
- During treatment, our eye doctor will cover your eyes with shields and apply a thin layer of coupling gel on the treatment area.
- A gentle and low-level light is then applied to the skin beneath the eyes. Patients typically report experiencing minimal discomfort throughout the procedure.
- Following OptiLight treatment, our eye doctor will gently express the meibomian glands to enhance the effectiveness of the therapy.
- Each session takes only 10-15 minutes. There is no downtime, and you can resume your daily activities immediately.
What are the benefits of OptiLight treatments?
Some of the benefits of OptiLight IPL treatments include the following:
- Quick treatment times—can be completed during a lunch break
- Long-lasting results
- Immediately return to your daily activities after treatment—no recovery period
- Decrease your dependence on eye drops
- Treat the underlying cause of dry eye, not just the symptoms
- Reduction of redness or skin blemishes and mild reduction in fine lines and wrinkles in the treated area
Are there any risks associated with OptiLight?
While OptiLight is generally safe and well-tolerated, some side effects can occur. The most common side effect is temporary redness or swelling of the treated area. Some people may also experience temporary vision changes, like increased sensitivity to light or blurry vision. These side effects usually go away within a few hours after treatment.
How can I prepare for an OptiLight session?
Before you undergo OptiLight treatment, our eye doctor will thoroughly examine your eyes to make sure it is the right treatment for your specific case. This will likely include a physical exam, as well as tests to measure the health of your eyes and tear production. Our optometrist may also ask you to avoid using makeup or any skincare products on the day of your appointment, as these can increase the risk of side effects.
If you are struggling with dry eye symptoms and want to learn more about OptiLight IPL therapy, contact us today to schedule an appointment!